Friday, July 5, 2013

The Airplane


On my trip to Texas


Desti put up her carry-on bag in the overhead compartment and took a seat by the window. She closed the shade and hoped that this second leg of her trip would be better than the first. She inwardly groaned, thinking of how long she would actually spend in this plane. She looked at the closed shade wondering why she even chose the window seat if she couldn’t even look out the window until the plane was airborne. She placed her purse on the seat next to her and took out the book she intended to read. She stowed the purse under the seat in front of her and sat up to find someone sitting in the seat next to her.
                “Oh, hello.” She said, smiling brightly at the man seated next to her.
                He smiled, but said nothing.
                Desti saw that he had jet black hair, light brown eyes and a nice smile. He wore a red polo shirt that barely fit around his bulging biceps.
                “Hello” he said finally; his eyes dropping down to Desti’s chest.
                She refrained from giving him an eye roll. She pegged him as a player and looked around for an open seat, should she want to get away from him later. She saw two that would do; far enough away from him so talk was difficult, but close enough for her to retrieve her bag quickly.
He cleared his throat to get her attention.
She looked at him and he smiled.
“You are going to Rome; no?” his voice was soft, yet strong.
Desti shook her head and he gave her a puzzled look, “this airplane no go to Rome?” His accent was thick and it reminded her of her grandfather. His worried expression made her change her mind about him.
She laughed at the misunderstanding and touched his arm, “I’m so sorry; yes, this plane is going to Rome. I thought you meant am I staying in Rome.”
He looked from her hand on his arm, to her face, “Oh, you no stay in Rome?”
She shook her head, “No, I’m going to Mozzate.”
He brightened, “I too am going to Mozzate. I can take you somewhere?”
She shook her head again, “Thank you, but that’s not necessary; my company is sending someone to meet me.”
He nodded once, “Va bene. I am meeting someone also. Oh…” he reached into his pocket and brought out a folded piece of paper he unfolded it, “how do you say this name please?” he leaned over to Desti and pointed to a place on the paper.
She looked at the name and began laughing.
He looked at her face, “What is so funny?
“The one you’re looking for is me.”
He looked at her and she saw the confusion, “what I mean is; that’s me.”
She saw he was still confused. She pointed to the name on the paper, “that’s” then to herself, “me”
“You are Desti?” he pronounced her name “dest-eye”.
She corrected him, “Desti, Yes that’s my name, well, that’s my nick name, my real name is Destinia LaRussa” she held out her hand, “it’s nice to meet you.”
He took her hand, “Ah, I am Pierangelo Affinito. Please call me Angelo.”
“Angelo” she repeated, imitating his accent, “it’s a pleasure to meet you.”
He shook his head, “No, the pleasure is mine Destinia.” He turned her hand, kissed her knuckles then put his hand over hers.
She giggled and felt her face turn seven shades of red, “Please, call me Desti.”
He nodded once, “Desti”
She loved the way her name easily rolled off his tongue; it was tantamount to foreplay and the way he was looking at her; with that hunger, she felt if he kissed her lips that she would just melt off her chair and form a puddle at his feet.
“So, it is you that I am waiting for.”
She smiled; wondering if there could be a deeper meaning to his words, “I guess so.” A thought came to her, “May I ask you a question?”
“Ma sure” he said, looking into her eyes, “What would you like to know?”
She stared into the warm brown eyes and felt herself being drawn in. She shook her head to clear it, “Could you give me the layout of the lab? What equipment needs to be replaced or decommissioned? And have the benches I ordered arrive yet?”
She saw his face fall; disappointment plain on his face, “Scusi, bella, but when a man is sitting next to such a beautiful woman, the last thing on his mind is work. Per piacere, tell me about yourself.”
Desti didn’t know whether she should be flattered for the compliment he paid her or insulted for the way he dismissed her question. But she did like him, so she would go with the former; besides, she reasoned, she would probably need his help in the coming months.
She turned her sweetest smile on him, “Sure, what would you like to know?”
He smirked at her cleverness at turning his words back on him, “Whatever you would like to tell me would be fine. I see you are married, does your husband know what a lucky man he is?”
She looked to where he was looking. She saw that she still had her wedding band on, “Oh no, I’m not married, we just got divorced. I guess in all the excitement of packing and going to the airport, I forgot to take it off.” She twisted the ring off and held up her hand, “See, all gone.”
The way Angelo was nodding she knew he thought she was lying. And if she tried to protest, it would only make her look even guiltier. Short of presenting him with her divorce papers, she didn’t know what to do. 

2 comments:

  1. This is a very nice story, thank you Linda. I think i want to see it as a book and i also think i am falling for Desti. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're just silly... :-P ...but thank you...

    ReplyDelete